I am an Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and a registered Member of the BACP Accredited Voluntary Register. I abide by the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions
My background is in nursing, during which time I worked with patients with life-limiting illnesses and also cared for women suffering miscarriage/pregnancy loss.
In order to better support these groups of patients, I took a 4 year Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy as a Means to Health at the University of Surrey, graduating in 1999.
The course I studied encompassed several different theories of counselling and psychotherapy, such as existentialism (attempting to find meaning in existence, the ‘why’ questions in life), phenomenology (facilitating clients to make sense of their life-world), psychodynamic (looking at the role of the unconscious) and person-centred (viewing the client as being fully capable of fulfilling their own potential for growth under the right conditions).
I work mainly with a person-centred approach, informed by other approaches that may be useful in individual cases, such as use of CBT techniques.
I believe that counselling and psychotherapy starts with the client, the relationship that is formed with the counsellor, and the thoughts and feelings that the client brings with them into the therapy space.
By offering empathy, and non-judgment, I can help the client find their own inner resources and tools to tackle their difficulties at their own pace.
I continue to study and keep up to date, in line with Professional Development. Some of the more recent courses I have attended include:
- Equine Assisted Learning study day (2018)
- Living and Dying (2018)
- Equine Guided Personal Development (2016)
- Working with Postnatal anxiety and depression (2016)
- Working with people who Self-harm (2014)
- Use of Photographs in Therapy (2014)
- Certificate in Couples Counselling (2012)
- Diploma (Distinction) in Bereavement Counselling (2010)
- PTSD following Childbirth and perinatal loss (2011)
- Teenagers and Bereavement (2009)
- Anticipatory Grief (2009)
- Mindfulness study day (2009)
- CHASE Hospice Volunteer Bereavement Counsellor’s project (2008)
- Cruse Bereavement Counselling study day (2007)
Contact me on 07590 572866 or email to arrange counselling in Basingstoke. Afternoon and early evening appointments available.
I offer a free 30 minute introductory session; please ask at time of booking.